3 Days Until Christmas!
Song: “Welcome to Our World,” by Chris Rice
Christmas Album: “Christmas,” by Mannheim Steamroller
Christmas DVD: “A Christmas Story”
Netflix Movie: “Serendipity”
Amazon Prime Movie: “7th Heaven: Christmas!”
Feeln Movie: “A Season for Miracles”
• Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Akron (7-5) vs. Utah State (6-6), Boise, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
• “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town,” 5:30 p.m., ABC Family
• “Christmas at Water’s Edge,” 5:54 p.m., BET
• “Royal Christmas,” 6 p.m., Hallmark
• “The Santa Clause,” 6:30 p.m., ABC Family
• Boca Raton Bowl, Temple (10-3) vs. Toledo (9-2), Boca Raton, 7 p.m., ESPN
• “A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa,” 8 p.m., AMC
• “Christmas Land,” 8 p.m., Hallmark
• “Four Christmases,” 8 p.m., TNT
• “Home Alone: The Holiday Heist,” 8 p.m., Disney
• “The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause,” 8:45 p.m., ABC Family
• “A Christmas Story 2,” 9 p.m., CMT
• “The Year: 2015,” 9 p.m., ABC
• “Disney’s A Christmas Carol,” 9:40 p.m., Disney
Recipe: Roasted Chestnut Sausage Dressing
Quick Thought for Christmas
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
From the beginning of creation, God knew how things would turn out. He could see to the end of time, and so He was fully aware that mankind would need a Savior – His Son, Jesus Christ. So Christmas Day was something that was in the works for thousands of years, a day that all of Heaven was anticipating.
The host of angels had to have been preparing for this day, waiting eagerly to come to Earth to proclaim the King’s birth. And when that day came, it had to have been a true honor to be in the choir that sang out, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
There are a lot of earthly things that we might say are awe-inspiring and wonderful.
And there are times that we have heard glorious things that stir our souls, like Handel’s “Hallelujah Chorus” from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or a more soulful version from the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.
Honestly, nothing we can imagine could possibly compare to the worship provided by the angelic host that first Christmas Eve. (But the good news is that same worship is in store for us one day when we arrive in Heaven.)
The real lesson here is that the first act of Christmas was worship. God sent the angels to worship. They instructed the shepherds to go and worship, and the shepherds did. The wise men traveled hundreds of miles to worship. But today, too many of us worship at a commercial altar each Christmas, and not a spiritual one. On Christmas Eve, stores will be filled with people making last-minute purchases, while churches will have far too many unfilled seats.
Don’t let that be true for you. Make sure your first act of Christmas is worship. Presents are wonderful, and Christmas wouldn’t seem complete without them. But a Christmas centered around gifts is just as empty as the leftover boxes once everything is opened. And a Christmas centered around Jesus is not only fulfilling for that day, but for every one after it as well.
Reflection copyright © 2015 by Doug DeBolt.
Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.